4.20.2012

Almond Sheet Cake with Butter Frosting

Presenting:  Almond and Butter...
in bringing you a
delightfully sweet,
finger lickin'--
yet sophisticated--
perfect-for-spring,
absolutely scrumptious
dessert.


 Perfect for all those baby showers, bridal showers, luncheons, 
even wedding receptions--yes, my mother made an innumerable amount of these (among plenty of other treats!) for my wedding reception and people are still talking about it (almost 4 years later).

The soft, moist almond cake topped with delectable butter frosting & crunchy almonds is, well, irresistible (I'd like to see anyone walk by a piece on the counter and not take a bite...).
The cake will even freeze perfectly for up to three months (see below for freezing instructions)!


...Umm, did I mention this is amazingly delectable?  Try it.


Almond Sheet Cake with Butter Frosting
From my mother
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder

1 cup butter
1 cup water
1/2 cup sour cream
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp almond extract
sliced almonds, for sprinkling on top

Preheat oven to 350.  Grease and flour a 15 x 11 jelly roll pan.
In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients and set aside.
In a small saucepan, combine butter and water--bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.  Add to flour mixture and stir to combine.
Stir in sour cream, beaten eggs, and almond extract.
Pour into prepared pan and bake 22-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Spread warm (not hot) cake with butter frosting (recipe below).  Sprinkle with sliced almonds.  Cut into squares and serve.

*Notes:  I don't make the frosting until I'm ready to frost the cake (it will start to harden if it sits).  I also sprinkle the almonds on top while the frosting is still warm so they'll stay in place.


Butter Frosting
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup milk (the higher the fat content, the richer it will taste)
1/2 tsp almond extract
3 cups powdered sugar

In medium saucepan, combine butter and milk.  Bring to a soft boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally, and remove from heat as soon as it boils.  Whisk in almond extract, then gradually whisk in powdered sugar until smooth.  Frost warm almond cake.

*To Freeze:  Wrap cooled, un-frosted cake (still in the pan) in two layers of plastic wrap, then a layer of foil.  Will keep for up to 3 months!  Allow to thaw and frost before serving.

17 comments:

Mary Partridge Brassell said...

Oh yum! This looks so good! I just love sheet cakes, and this one looks perfect for a nicer occasion!

Mary Partridge Brassell said...

Oh yum! This looks so good! I just love sheet cakes, and this one looks perfect for a nicer occasion!

Shelly said...

Gracious! This looks great, do you deliver:)

Kara Anderson said...

My mouth is watering! I need some kind of excuse to make this! The picture with the bite taken out is just cruel. It's like the cake is laughing at me because I can't taste it.

Aidan said...

Am I looking at the freezing instructions and just not seeing them? This recipe is really intriguing. And it is a cake you can make on the spur of the moment -- I always have the ingredients, but I often find my baking urges hindered by a lack of soft butter! With this, no need!

Kristin said...

Kaye--how much will you pay? :)

Aidan--thanks so much for pointing that out! I must have accidentally deleted the freezing instructions but will have them back up in a jiffy. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

I'd love to know what I did wrong with the frosting . . . I have reread the instructions several times, and I'm confident that I followed them exactly. However, my "frosting" came out like more of a thin glaze. I don't know how whisking powdered sugar into a hot liquid could ever result in the kind of frosting that is pictured. Any advice?

Kristin said...

Robin, I would suggest to let it cool slightly before whisking in the powdered sugar, and if it's still too "glaze-y" after that, let it sit in the saucepan for a few minutes before frosting the cake. My frosting always seems a little more like glaze before I frost the cake, but by the time it cools on the cake, it looks more like frosting. Also, be sure that you bring the butter and milk only to a soft boil and remove it from the heat as soon as it boils. I guess I could clarify that in the instructions. Either way, it should still taste good. :) I hope you have better luck next time; let me know if it works for you!

newblogger26 said...

If I don't have a jelly roll pan would a regular 13 x 9 cake pan work?

Kristin said...

newblogger26, I haven't ever made it in a 13 x 9, but I imagine it would work--just be aware that it may need to bake longer than the 22-25 minutes I have listed. Check it often to make sure it doesn't burn. Let me know how it turns out!

The Church Cook said...

Printing this recipe right now to try it on my church family! Looks fabulous, Kristin.

Kristin said...

Thanks, Kay. Happy baking! :)

Unknown said...

oh my these look divine. Divine I tell you! Thanks for sharing!

oh and p.s. come visit my blog all about COLOR I think you might enjoy it! :-)

xoxo
Aarean
colorissue.blogspot.com

Lindsay said...

I accidentally substituted peppermint extract for the almond extract and it turned out delicious!

Kristin said...

Lindsay,
What an awesome holiday treat idea! Thanks for sharing. :)

CupcakeMaids said...

Hi Kristin,

your cake looks lovely and i converted the ingredients into gramms, but my cake didn't taste good at all. Way to sweet! 450 gramms of sugar...?!? I'll try it next time with only less than 1 cup of sugar.

Jennifer Guidry said...

Found this on Pinterest & made it for a party. OMG...everyone RAVED, and it is now a favorite dessert. I can see me making this again & again in the future!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...