9.03.2011

No-Yeast Pizza Dough with Whole Wheat

Long name for a simple recipe.


Amidst my awkward we're-moving-so-use-up-what-we-have-in-our-cupboards stage a couple weeks ago, I found myself with all of the essential pizza ingredients...except for yeast.
My favorite whole-wheat pizza crust recipe calls for yeast, but I didn't have time to run to the store.

So, after googling around a bit, I found a recipe on cooks.com and adapted it to my liking.
This recipe provides more of a soft, bread-y crust, rather than a thinner, crispier crust.


Given the choice, I would choose my yeast recipe over this, BUT, if I find myself in another
pizza-craving, hopeless, yeast-less circumstance,
this will be my go-to!

Make this crust for a yummy Zucchini Pesto Pizza!

(If you're more of a soft-crust fan, this may end up being your favorite.  To each his own.:)
*This is my most popular recipe!  Let me know how you like it!

No Yeast Pizza Dough with Whole Wheat
Makes 1 pizza crust
Inspired by Cooks.com

1 1/2 cups regular whole wheat flour
1/2 cup white flour
1 tsp garlic salt
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup olive oil

Preheat oven to 400. Combine all ingredients together in a bowl and knead by hand in bowl for about 2 minutes. Place onto baking sheet and press out into desired shape (thinner crust works better for this recipe). Bake for 5-10 minutes (depending on how thick it is). Take it out, add sauce and toppings, then bake for another 8-10 minutes, or until toppings are cooked and edges of crust are lightly browned.

19 comments:

MoniqueChante said...

Hey, just wanted to say that I LOOOOOOOOVE this pizza crust! I have made it several times, and blogged about it too. I credited your blog in the post :)

http://curiousgazelle.tumblr.com/post/25435343782/my-favorite-pizza-crust-original-recipe-from

Kristin said...

Thank you so much, MoniqueChante! Glad to hear you love it. :)

JAG Family said...

I included a link on my blog to this post just a few days ago - I loved the soft crust. Thank you for this!

Dani said...

I tried making this yesterday, my boyfriend stole a slice of my pizza and thought I bought the pizza dough from the bakery! Thanks!

Sarah said...

Ok. I did make this exactly the way the directions say, and you're right, this is more of a soft-crust pizza. I think next time I'll add in some italian seasonings and MORE garlic (we LOVE garlic)and I think it could stand to be baked longer than is mentioned. maybe my oven sucks, i don't know, but i think longer cooking. i baked one a little longer than the other one and I got crispier crust, which we really liked a lot.

BTW, I was thinking the dough should be elastic and more, I dunno, 'doughy' but since its whole wheat it never really gets elastic. Just thought I would mention that for others :)

Unknown said...

Thanks sooo much. I followed the recipe, tweaked it to my liking and here is how it turned out: Pizza

Unknown said...

Tried this recipe last night and it was great! My picky eating kids loved it too! Thanks for posting!

Lauren Bacall said...

Made this last night, and it was super quick and easy (without the yeast). Wondering if I didn't pre-bake long enough or if it just doest get very crispy on the bottom.

Lauren Bacall said...

Made this last night, and my husband and I thought it tasted great! So easy with no yeast. He would've preferred more garlic in the crust. Maybe I didn't pre-bake long enough - has anyone else had issues with getting the crust crispy on the bottom?

Unknown said...

Hi! I just want to say I made your crust and it was delicious! I came across the same problem (no yeast)and this solved everything.

I made my own pizza recipe using your crust and gave you credit on my blog, craveyourhealth.com!

I love your site!

Thanks, Amanda

Unknown said...

Hi! I just want to say I made your crust and it was delicious! I came across the same problem (no yeast)and this solved everything.

I made my own pizza recipe using your crust and gave you credit on my blog, craveyourhealth.com!

I love your site!

Thanks, Amanda

Unknown said...

I make this and use guacamole or hummus sauce instead of tomato a lot healthier
If you don't want to eat too many nightshades.

Sally Jadlow said...

Looks yummy, Kristen. Can't wait to try it.

~*HIS Eri 365*~ said...

Perfecto, perfection! Just what I needed. I planned my menu for the month. Prepared a freezer full of food. Today's menu states "Pizza". The kids are excited. And then I remember... I forgot to pre-make the pizza crust! Ahhh! Hoping I'd get a hit, I searched Google for a job yeast crust (to save time) and your post was the first result on the list. I really hope this works. I'm going to try and split the dough in half for a thinner crust, skip the pre-baking and bake it with the toppings for slightly longer. Fingers crossed... :^)

~*HIS Eri 365*~ said...

Perfecto, perfection! Just what I needed. I planned my menu for the month. Prepared a freezer full of food. Today's menu states "Pizza". The kids are excited. And then I remember... I forgot to pre-make the pizza crust! Ahhh! Hoping I'd get a hit, I searched Google for a job yeast crust (to save time) and your post was the first result on the list. I really hope this works. I'm going to try and split the dough in half for a thinner crust, skip the pre-baking and bake it with the toppings for slightly longer. Fingers crossed... :^)

Maggie said...

Yay! I've been looking for a recipe like this for ages! Thanks so much for your post!

Maggie said...

Thanks so much for this recipe! I've been searching for an easy pizza dough recipe for ages!

Katie Greer said...

Just made this for my family, and everyone loooooved it! So happy there's a fabulous yeast-less recipe out there!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...