2.14.2012

No-Shortening Buttercream Frosting

Here's the buttercream frosting recipe I used on my Soft & Fluffy Sugar Cookies.


I don't usually like frosting, but this is my new favorite, 
and I LOVE that it doesn't use shortening--it's practically healthy...(ha).

Shortening-Free Buttercream Frosting

1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 cups powdered sugar
pinch of salt (literally--just taste & add more if needed)
6 Tbsp heavy cream*
Food coloring & sprinkles, optional

Cream together butter and vanilla.  Slowly beat in powdered sugar and salt.  When becomes smooth & creamy, add in heavy cream, 1 Tbsp at a time.  Finally, beat at medium-high speed for 1-2 minutes; until light and fluffy.  Add food coloring if desired.

*You can use 1/2 and 1/2 or milk if you don't have any, although cream tastes wonderful!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

can you use milk instead of cream?

Unknown said...

can you use milk instead of cream?

Jesse said...

Thanks for posting this recipe. I made it the other day for a Christmas Cookie Decorating party and everyone loved the frosting! I used cream and it was delicious!

Unknown said...

Your cookie looks divine! Thanks for posting your recipe. Does your frosting set up well for stacking and packaging?

Kristin said...

Thanks, Blake! Actually, this frosting stays pretty soft for me (could vary with climate though) and I wouldn't recommend stacking. If you need a frosting that stacks well, using shortening will make it more stiff. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...