2.29.2012

How to Cook Tofu

Today is unique.
February 29th won't come again for four whole years, 
so I thought I should post something unique today...
like how to cook tofu!

Tofu Vegetable Stir-Fry

Tofu used to give me the heebie-jeebies (kinda like shrimp).  Just hearing the word raised my eyebrows.
I think the first time I tried tofu was at PF Chang's...in their coconut curry vegetable dish (amazing!),
and I knew I had been missing out.

Made from soybeans, tofu is low-fat, high protein, vegetarian, versatile (soft or firm; can be used in sweet & savory dishes), and has a subtle flavor (will pretty much take on whatever flavor you want it to).

So here's how I cook tofu--specifically for stir-fry--
and it's super easy and only takes 15 minutes!

Ingredients:  
1 package 14-oz extra firm tofu
heat-safe oil for sauteing
garlic powder for flavor
sauce for stir-fry

We really like Nasoya's organic extra firm tofu for this (I find it at Costco).

(I did use this before the expiration date, by the way...)

Open the package and drain the liquid.  Wrap the tofu block in paper towels or a dish towel, place on a cutting board, and gently pat/squeeze out the water (you want the tofu dry in order to absorb flavor/sauce).


Cut into bite-sized cubes.


(After cutting you may want to dab up some more water.)



Drizzle heat-safe oil (I like grapeseed) into a medium-sized pan over medium heat and add tofu pieces.  
Stir the tofu around with a spatula to coat with oil.
At this point, I like to add a good sprinkle of garlic powder for some flavor.

(About halfway done)
 After a few minutes, turn pieces over, using a spatula, to cook the other sides.
Continue sauteing and stirring/turning until all (or most of) the sides are lightly browned.


After about 15 minutes, the tofu should be browned like this.


When the tofu is done cooking, pour in just enough stir-fry sauce to coat the pieces, let them absorb the sauce for a minute or so, and then add tofu to the cooked vegetables for the stir-fry.

Serve warm over brown rice.  Super easy, right?
How do you cook tofu?
If you've never cooked it, try it and let me know what you think!

Goodbye, February 29th...see you in four years!

6 comments:

Mary Partridge Brassell said...

You ALMOST have me convinced- tofu...I don't know if I can do it!! But yours looks so tasty- I will let you know if I give it a shot!

Mary Partridge Brassell said...

You ALMOST have me convinced- tofu...I don't know if I can do it!! But yours looks so tasty- I will let you know if I give it a shot!

Kristin said...

Yes, please let me know if you try it!

Lifewithspices said...

omg i love tofu ..n this is one dish..

Kara Anderson said...

I've always been scared of tofu. I judged it before I ever tried it. I really want to make this just to branch out a bit. I've been trying to eat out of my comfort zone lately (I ate mushrooms this week and I hate them!).

Kristin said...

Kara, you should try it! I was a little scared of it at first too but I'm so glad I tried it. Let me know if you do! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...