9.08.2011

Summer Squash Bake

*Side note:  I just made crispy yam & black bean burritos the other day and served them with plain yogurt and mango salsa...and...let me tell you, it was divine!



Anyway,
you may have noticed that most of what I make is meatless.

However,
 this squash-bacon-cheese dish is a MUST-HAVE for me every summer.
At least once.
Lucky enough for me, my mom made it when we visited this summer (thanks, Mom!)

I told her I could live on this stuff.


That is, until I die of overconsumption of bacon.

A diagnosis I didn't learn in nursing school,
but,
what a way to go.

I literally buy bacon once or twice...maybe three times a year...and this recipe indubitably makes it onto the reasons-to-buy-bacon list.


I've loved that word, indubitably, ever since I learned it from Schoolhouse Grammar Rock (watch it and it'll be the best three minutes of your life).

Lolly, lolly, lolly get your adverbs here...


Anybody with me?

Summer Squash Bake
From my mother
6 side dish servings

8 cups sliced yellow summer squash
6 slices bacon
1 onion, chopped
2 large eggs
1 cup cottage cheese
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 Tbsp flour
1 tsp chicken bouillon

Cook sliced squash in large pot until fork-tender; drain.  Meanwhile, cook bacon until crispy.  Remove bacon from pan, add chopped onion to bacon drippings, and cook onion until soft.  Roughly chop or crumble bacon into pieces (about 1/2-inch pieces).

In a large bowl, beat the eggs, then add rest of ingredients, including the bacon pieces and cooked onion.  Add the cooked & drained squash.

Bake in a casserole dish (2-quart size) at 350 for 25-30 minutes.  Let sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...