9.15.2011

Strawberry Sour Cream Ice Cream

I am desperately holding on to summer.

After such a horrendous, record-breaking, housebound winter...
followed by a cold, rainy spring...
*sigh*

I just haven't fully recovered yet.
(Yes, I'm being dramatic...but winter is dramatic too, which is why we don't get along.
Opposites attract, right?)


Anyway, I found myself panicking this morning when I woke up to not only a cold house, 
but also a baby with a cold. :(
(Summer, are you really leaving me?)

So, to aid me in my grief as I hesitantly bid summer farewell, 
I'm sharing a delightful summer recipe I made on a recent family visit.


...So speaking of opposites, let's talk sweet strawberries and, well, sour sour cream.
A((n) opposite) match made in heaven.

It's definitely rich,
so only a few dainty bites are needed to satisfy even the greatest of ice cream desires.


...
On second thought, my dad was able to have several not-so-dainty bites...
but he is the exception.  :)
(Love you, Dad.)

Summer, I miss you already.


Strawberry Sour Cream Ice Cream
Adapted from The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz
Makes about 1 1/4 quarts


1 lb fresh strawberries, washed, hulled, & sliced
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup sour cream
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 tsp freshly-squeezed lemon juice

Combine strawberries & sugar in a bowl and stir until the sugar begins to dissolve.  Cover and let stand at room temperature for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

In a blender or food processor, pulse the strawberries (and their liquid) with the sour cream, heavy cream, and lemon juice until almost smooth but still chunky.

Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, then freeze in ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...