11.18.2011

Hearty Chickpea Soup

I know Fall is not officially over yet, 
but because today is a beautiful fall day and
because my weather-man is forecasting snow for tomorrow,
I feel the need for a "Farewell to Fall" post.


It's impossible for me even think of the word "Fall" without thinking of my mother-in-law.
She is the Queen of Fall.
As soon as leaves begin to redden and crisp up,
you can walk into her house, and, without fail, be greeted by
a home-y cinnamon or pumpkin aroma.
You can walk out onto her deck and smile at
homegrown pumpkins and bright, beautiful mums.
After a crisp fall walk, she'll make you
a delicious, warm fall soup.
I've never met anyone who loved fall more.

On a recent, particularly crispy fall day,
I made one of her soups.


It's vegetarian, yet hearty and comforting.
The combination of cinnamon, turmeric, and ginger in this soup =
absolute genius.
And although it makes me think of fall, I guarantee it will grace our table this winter too!

...catchya later, Fall...

Hearty Chickpea Soup
From my mother-in-law
4 servings

2 Tbsp olive oil
1 rib celery, finely chopped
1 medium carrot, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground turmeric
1/4 tsp ground ginger
2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
1 (15-oz) can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
1 can (14.5-oz) diced or tomatoes (no salt added)
2 cups baby spinach leaves, coarsely chopped
lemon wedges, for garnish

In medium saucepan, heat oil on medium heat.  Saute celery, carrot, onion, and garlic 3-5 minutes.  Add cinnamon, turmeric, and ginger.  Cook 1-2 minutes longer.  Add broth, chickpeas, and tomatoes and simmer until vegetables are soft.  Add chopped spinach leaves and lemon wedges on top just before serving.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...