5.26.2011

Natural Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies

To start off, my family just temporarily moved across the country for the summer months, and we've had issues getting internet, hence the lack of posts (we still don’t have it—hopefully soon.). I have a very interesting (and outdated) kitchen situation in a hundred-year-old house; we are currently without a toaster, microwave, blender, crockpot, and…one of my most prized possessions, my Kitchen Aid
(*moment of silence*)
…not to mention we’re also without a full-sized fridge and oven! I just purchased a mini cookie sheet to fit in the mini oven. Woe is me! I’m sure any 1950’s housewife would tell me to roll up my sleeves and buck up a little.

Thankfully, these delectable cookies were still possible to make, with a little extra time and elbow grease (did I mention I miss my Kitchen Aid?).

And delectable they were.

There's nothing like the aroma of chocolate chips in the oven to make a house feel homey.


Natural Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies

Adapted from Carrie R.

1 ½ cups natural peanut butter* (I like Adams brand (crunchy), which I can only find in the Western U.S., unfortunately)

1 cup granulated sugar

½ cup brown sugar

1 stick butter, softened

2 tsp vanilla

1 tsp baking soda

½ tsp salt

3 eggs

4 cups old-fashioned oats**

1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350. Mix the first seven ingredients together (peanut butter through salt). Add eggs, beat well, and then mix in oats & chocolate chips. Spoon onto lightly greased cookie sheets & bake for 8-12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Makes about 4 dozen.

*The original recipe calls for regular peanut butter. If you use that (such as Skippy or Jiffy), omit the salt.

**Original recipe calls for quick oats, but I prefer the texture (and wholesome-ness) of old-fashioned oats. Use whatever you have!

2 comments:

Jones Family said...

Yummy! Sorry to hear about your kitchen mishaps. It feels weird here with so many people gone. We miss you! I'm excited to see updates on your blog when your internet is up and running.

Cami and Mitch said...

Kristin, I love your food blog :) I am always looking for new recipies and have tried the green beans and alfredo and loved them both! Good luck in your new place!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...