10.04.2012

Our Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookie

All my life, I've had an issue with declaring "favorites."
Favorite color, favorite food, favorite movie, favorite book...
*sigh*
It still stresses me out.
Do I have to pick just one?
(Call me indecisive.  ...Or would it be hesitant?  Uncertain?  Whatever.)


...except when I was about 6 years old, I had a favorite color (Pink, obviously.  But that's a given.)
After that, I was kind of a tom-boy, and I didn't have a favorite color, however, I knew that pink was definitely NOT my favorite color (I grew up with six brothers, what do you expect?).

My little sous-chef...  :)
Anyway, since the time of having pink at the top of my list, I can't remember having any other declared favorites.

Until I tried this cookie.


I've tried about a million chocolate chip cookie recipes in my young life, but have never really stuck with one,
until a few months ago when I tried this recipe.
I've stuck with it, 
craved it, 
baked it,
loved it,
devoured it,
and (hesitatingly), shared it.


Back to being indecisive, I can't quite put my finger on what keeps me going back...
Is it the caramelized, crispy edges?
The melted-chocolatey, gooey centers?
Or flecks of sea salt that surprise my taste buds in between all of that?

Hmmm.


I'll go have another and get back to you on that...

The Best Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe Ever
Yields 4 Dozen (48 cookies), easily halved 

1 cup salted butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp smallish-medium coarse sea salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 1/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 360 degrees.  
Cream butter, sugar, and brown sugar for about 3 minutes in a stand mixer; until fluffy.
Add eggs & vanilla.  Beat for 2 minutes.
Add flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and mix until well blended.
Mix in chocolate chips.
Drop by about 2-Tbsp size onto cookie sheets lined with parchment paper and bake for about 12-14 minutes (it only takes about 10 in my oven), or until edges are just golden brown.  Remove from oven and keep cookies on the sheet for another 2 minutes.  Then transfer parchment paper (with cookies on it) to the counter and let cool 3 minutes...and indulge!

*Notes:  To prevent flat cookies, be sure that your baking powder and baking soda are not expired, and be sure to cream the butter and sugars for the full 3 minutes.

5 comments:

Mary Partridge Brassell said...

Oh my goodness! Why, oh WHY must I be out of brown sugar! These look SO delicious! If we were neighbors- you would lend me some brown sugar, wouldn't you? Miss ya, kuj!

Anonymous said...

Dallen and I are baking them right now! The dough is yummy- which is a crucial consideration as to my "favorite" cookie :)

Anonymous said...

ps we just moved into the house we remodeled, and these cookies are the first thing to be baked in my new oven! Thanks Kristin!!!

Wendy said...

I just wanted to tell you that this is the recipe I always use now. So, thanks for that. It really is as good as you say it is. Sometimes I have to add a little extra flour but that could just be an altitude thing. Thanks again.

Wendy said...

I just wanted to tell you that this is the recipe I always use now. It really is as good as you say it is. So thanks. Sometimes I have to add a little extra flour but that could just be an altitude thing. Thanks again.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...