4.29.2011

Quinoa & Black Bean Burritos




Quinoa (say it with me: "KEEN-WA") quickly became one of my favorite grains when I first tried it. Let me tell you why.
First of all, it's the coolest word ever, don't you think? It makes me want to do a little dance around my kitchen, chanting, "Quinoa, quinoa, quinoa!"
Second, when you cook it, the seeds magically turn into little curli-cues.
Third, it's light, fluffy, and nutty. Who doesn't love nutty?
Lastly, it's the most nutritional grain! High in protein, amino acids, dietary fiber, magnesium...

Need I say more?

This recipe is definitely a winner. My neighbor, Alicia, brought these over just hours after we returned home from the hospital with our new baby and she was kind enough to share the recipe with me.


Quinoa & Black Bean Burritos
6-8 servings

1 tsp olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup frozen corn
3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 tsp chicken bouillon granules (I use "Better Than Bouillon" chicken base; they also make a vegan option)
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (opt.--I used 1/8 and could hardly tell)
2 cans (15 oz. each) black beans, drained & rinsed
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
6-8 burrito-size tortillas (use corn tortillas for gluten-free diets)

Our favorite toppings:
Sour cream or plain yogurt
Avocado or guacamole
Salsa
Raw spinach

Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onions & garlic and saute until lightly browned. Add corn, quinoa, water, bouillon, cumin, and cayenne pepper to saucepan. Bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat & simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in the beans & cilantro and heat through. Serve in warm tortillas with favorite toppings.

3 comments:

The Lilly's said...

I'm always looking for new recipe ideas, so I'm excited to see what you put on here. So far everything looks fantastic!

Katie Joyce said...

Kristin, I'm so excited about your blog, it's one of the best I've seen because you eat just like we do! I'm already making a grocery list- thanks a ton!

Kristin said...

Thanks, Katie and Lana! I'm glad you guys like it. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...