4.27.2011

Steel-cut Oats


I frequently have a hearty bowl of oatmeal for breakfast. But if I have a few extra minutes, I treat myself to steel-cut oats instead of old-fashioned rolled oats.
Steel-cut oats are even less processed than rolled oats, making them healthier (right?) and...get ready...chewier. I love chewy. Do you love chewy?

The fun thing about oatmeal is it's 100% customizable. Add in anything you want according to your likes! I usually make a cinnamon-raisin version, but this morning I sliced up some fresh strawberries. Mmmm!

The possibilities are endless.

I like to add a splash of soy milk & and sprinkle of cinnamon on top before delving in!
Can you say heaven in a bowl?


(Speaking of bowls, don't judge mine...I painted it when I was 11.)

Steel-Cut Oats
Makes 2 servings

1 1/2 cups water (or other liquid; substitute milk/alternative milk for extra creaminess)
1/2 cup steel-cut oats
1/4-1/2 cup fruit (give or take) fresh, frozen, or dried (use less dried fruit)
1-2 T. sweetener (honey, agave nectar, pure maple syrup, sugar)
Favorite toppings (more fruit, sliced almonds, chopped walnuts, coconut, cinnamon & sugar, nutmeg, splash of milk)

Bring liquid to a boil. Add in steel-cut oats and turn heat down to a low boil. Add fruit in at appropriate time (see below). Cook until all liquid is absorbed (about 12-14 minutes), stirring occasionally. Add in sweetener & toppings, and enjoy!

*If you're using dried fruit or something hard like chopped apples, add in at the beginning with the oats (for maximum plumpness and juiciness). If it's something softer, like fresh strawberries or a mashed banana, add in at the end when liquid is nearly all absorbed.

I've seen several different methods for cooking steel-cut oats, but for my favorite chewy texture, I use a 3:1 (liquid:oats) ratio. If you'd like them even softer, add more liquid and cook longer. And I'm all about big breakfasts, so 1/2 cup of raw oats is one serving for me (if you're a light breakfast eater, it would probably be two servings)!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Just found your blog today and am loving it! I have not tried steel cut oats yet and am wanting to. I am an oatmeal fan. Can you make ahead of time and refrigerate and if so, how long would they keep and can you reheat in microwave or would you need to put them on the stove?
Thanks!
Laura

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...