10.19.2011

Mini Vegetable Quiches


Never judge a book by its cover.


...Or a mini vegetable quiche by its top.

Sometimes things aren't picture-perfect for your eyes, 
but are perfectly yummy for our insides (ha).

I made these for a special occasion a couple weeks ago when we got together with some friends for brunch.
Because it was a special occasion, I added bacon.
However, these can easily be vegetarian-ized by omitting the bacon.


When I mixed 'em up, I got on one of my veggie-lovin' kicks and added a few too many veggies, 
which caused my muffin tins to overflow, leaving me with not-so-pretty mini quiches.
Although the mini quiches were fun, next time I make them, I may just throw the batter in a small casserole dish.
Then I can make them without any suppression of my veggie love. :)

*Two side notes: 
1.  I finally just fixed my blog feed!  Become a follower if you'd like to receive updates!
2.  I just added pictures to my Whole Wheat Yogurt Pancakes post, in case you were wanting a visual.

Mini Vegetable Quiches
12 servings
Adapted from Costco Magazine

12 foil baking cups
8 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup skim milk
1/2-1 cup shredded cheese (cheddar or mozzarella are yummy)
1/2-3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
1 cup chopped mushrooms
1 cup frozen, diced hash brown potatoes (or pre-baked red potatoes)
1 large handful raw baby spinach, chopped
1/2 lb bacon or sausage, cooked, crumbled, and drained (optional)

In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, cheese, salt, and pepper.  Set aside.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Saute onions, bell pepper, and mushrooms until tender.  Add hash browns and spinach and cook until hash browns are heated through and spinach is wilted.  Remove from heat and stir in meat, if desired.  Place baking cups in a muffin pan and distribute batter evenly among baking cups.  
Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until eggs are set.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...