9.25.2012

Non-Mushy Oatmeal

Please raise your hand if you (or someone you know) do not eat oatmeal because it's too...mushy??

Now put your hands down, 
because I have two remedies for you to get this healthy, comforting food into your diet:

1. Try steel-cut oats (for a very hearty/chewy texture)

OR

2.  Try this recipe (below)

Why?  Because in this recipe, I use 1 part liquid to 1 part oats, where most of the time people use a 2:1 liquid to oats ratio.  It doesn't have to cook very long to soak up the liquid, leaving the oats less cooked, drier, and non-mushy!


My husband is far from picky (I sure am lucky!), however, traditional oatmeal isn't his favorite because of the mushy texture.  Once I started making it this way, his oatmeal heebie-jeebies went out the door!
(He'd still eat it before, but now he looks forward to it.)


My toddler happily eats this too--and I love using honey instead of sugar.
This is a cinnamon-raisin version, but feel free to switch up the fruit to your liking.

Non-Mushy Oatmeal
2 Adult servings + 1 toddler serving

2 cups water (or milk or combination--milk will make it creamier)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup (heaping) raisins
2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
2 Tbsp honey
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla
splash of milk, for serving (optional--I use almond milk)

In a medium saucepan, combine liquid, salt, and raisins and bring to a boil.  Stir in the oats and turn heat down to medium-low.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until all liquid is absorbed, about 2-3 minutes.  Remove from heat and add honey, cinnamon, and vanilla.  Serve warm with a splash of milk, if desired.

1 comment:

Breanna said...

Thank you for posting!!! I love everything in oatmeal, & I love the idea of it, but I have never been able to really enjoy it because the consistency. I am looking forward to trying this!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...