8.03.2011

Healthy Banana Bread

Overripe bananas are hard to come by at our house. My husband and I eat them daily (as will my sweeter-than-ripe-bananas baby...soon!), plus, the minute they start to show brown specks, I usually slice 'em up and throw 'em in the freezer for a future smoothie.

Well, the other day, I was pleasantly surprised at three overripe bananas in our fruit basket.
Of course, banana bread is the no-brainer answer to overripe bananas!


Banana bread is usually very cake-like (in flavor (which is good) and in nutrition (not good)), and I always think you might as well just eat cake. But not this time. This time I've brought a healthy banana bread recipe to the table! It's crispy on top and moist inside.

*I also wanted to substitute applesauce for the canola oil, but I didn't have any...next time!

Healthy Banana Bread
Adapted from Tasty Kitchen

2 eggs
2/3 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup canola oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup very ripe bananas (I like 1 cup mashed and 1/2 cup sliced, for some chunks)
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup honey

2 1/2 cups regular whole wheat flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp salt

In a large bowl, combine all ingredients up to the flour. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Add flour mixture to the wet mixture and stir until just combined. Pour batter into a large loaf pan and bake 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

3 comments:

Preston said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emily said...

I am always looking for a healthier banana bread, so thanks! This looks great, although overripe bananas are hard to come by around here too. I have to buy extra and hide them from my littl monkey (and my big monkey...)

ashleyb said...

What temperature do you bake at?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...