7.29.2011

Curried Coconut Chicken with Brown Rice

My husband and I really enjoy trying different international foods.
Indian food is one of our favorites, so I was super excited when I stumbled upon this recipe!
It will definitely make more appearances at our house.

Next time I'll try using fresh tomatoes instead of canned,
and possibly add some crushed red pepper flakes for a touch of heat.

Try it! Just be prepared for your house to smell like curry for a day or two. :)

Curried Coconut Chicken
adapted from allrecipes.com
makes 6 servings

2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 tsp salt & pepper (to taste)
1 1/2 Tbsp canola oil
2 Tbsp curry powder
1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 (14-oz) can light coconut milk
1 (14.5-oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
1 (8-oz) can tomato sauce
3 Tbsp sugar
Prepared brown rice, for serving

Season chicken pieces with salt & pepper.
Heat oil & curry in large skillet over medium heat for 2 minutes while stirring. Add in onions & garlic and cook until onions are translucent (8-10 minutes). Add chicken and stir to coat with spices. Cook for another 7-10 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink.
Pour in coconut milk, drained tomatoes, tomato sauce, and sugar to skillet and stir to combine.
Simmer, uncovered, for about 30-40 minutes; until sauce is thickened.
Serve warm over brown rice.


*Tofu would be a great substitute for the chicken to make this vegetarian



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this dish,and from experience boiling equal amounts of vinegar and water after cooking it helped me get rid of any lingering curry smell. I found you from the foodie blog roll and I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your site. I hope you could add this curried coconut chicken widget at the end of this post so we could add you in our list of food bloggers who blogged about curried chicken,thanks!

Readable Eatables said...

Love Curry, love everything about this dish! I have made something similar but with a green curry sauce. I'll have to post it. I will be making this soon! Your blog is soooo great!

Kristin said...

Thanks, Codee! I hope you guys like it. I've never made green curry before...is it hot??

Readable Eatables said...

No its basically the same thing you just use green chilies instead of tomatoes and then I just serve it over couscous. Curry and coconut milk make one good combination :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...