7.14.2011

Whole-Wheat Couscous & Fruit Salad

Just imagine biting into crisp, juicy berries, crunchy, sliced almonds, and nutty--almost tangy--couscous.

Wow.

Well your dreams just became a reality.


This is another winner from Better Homes and Gardens. It was my first time cooking couscous, and I'll be honest--I was a little skeptical--but pleasantly surprised. :)

Super easy to make, too! Yumm-o summer side dish.
The only change I made was substituting green onion for the shallots...that's what I had in my fridge.


Whole-Wheat Couscous & Fruit Salad
4 servings

2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp orange juice
1 Tbsp cider vinegar
2 tsp finely chopped shallots
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
2 cups cooked whole-wheat couscous
1 cup chopped nectarine
1 cup mixed fresh berries (I used blueberries & raspberries)
2 Tbsp toasted, sliced almonds*

In a large bowl, whisk together oil, orange juice, vinegar, shallots, salt, & pepper. Add cooked couscous and fruit; gently toss to combine.

*Toasting almonds is easy! Just heat a dry skillet over medium-low heat, add almonds and cook while stirring, for about 2-3 minutes or until they are lightly browned and fragrant.

4 comments:

Jones Family said...

This sounds delish! I love couscous. I have made your Quinoa and Black Bean Burritos twice this week. We all love them!

camelia said...

Hello,


We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Vincent
petitchef.com

Alicia said...

Kristin, I love your blog! All of this food is the kind of stuff I am eating lately so it just opens up my options. Anyway, I've never been able to actually find whole grain couscous, have you found any in Minnesota? I usually look in the bulk bins so maybe I need to look for a package. Thanks for sharing!

Kristin said...

Hey Alicia! Thanks, I'm glad you like the blog. This was my first time using couscous, so I never looked for it in MN. I do happen to know that Trader Joe's has whole wheat couscous though!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...