6.20.2011

Whole Wheat Pasta Salad with Homemade Dressing

I am still living in jacket-weather.

And we're nearing the end of June.

Seriously.

So, to combat the grossness outside, I made something yummy:

The perfect summer pasta salad.



(Take that, yucky-cold-rainy-44-degree-weather!)

And this one's good, trust me. It's not covered in a bunch of globby mayo or sugar-infested dressing.



Simply fresh and lovely.

I slightly adapted the dressing recipe from allrecipes.com.
As for the pasta and veggies, I used whole wheat rotini and whatever vegetables I had in the fridge and added some creamy feta. This could easily be your clean-out-the-produce-drawer go-to recipe! :)
(I didn't exactly measure the veggies...just throw in whatever looks good.)

Makes about 8 servings
Dressing:
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper

Salad:
8 oz. whole wheat rotini pasta
1 small cucumber, thinly sliced
1 handful cherry tomatoes, quartered
3-4 carrots, sliced
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
4 oz. feta cheese, crumbled

Place all dressing ingredients into a closed container and shake to combine (this can be made ahead and refrigerated; I think refrigerating also gives it more flavor).
Cook pasta according to directions, let cool, and mix in prepared veggies & cheese. Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat. Refrigerate for a few hours or overnight before serving.

...I think I can smell summer coming...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...